Sunday 23 June 2013

Coping with Metaphors - Dancing on a Magic Carpet

Solstice has come. It was at the end of a good week. I saw a great physiotherapist (Ann Marie Graham) who left me feeling hopeful and learning more about my coccyx than I ever wanted to. Yoga once again a possibility - she said to use the 24 hr rule - after trying exercise (bicyle, swimming or yoga) if I wasn't in pain for 24 hr later , I likely had not hurt myself. I need to exercise - body falling apart; lots of flab. THis was followed by 2 days with movement without pain and the opportunity to cycle 6-8 blocks on each day. Then another setback. The physio suggested that I not focus on pain because pain has a short memory; instead focus on function - what can I do now that I could not do before.  I'm trying.

On the morning of the 21st I went for a massage. I was needing support; spiritually as well as in other ways. Pam, my massage therapist, did cranial-sacral; we worked toward finding a metaphor or representation that I could work toward - by the end I had found one. It was me dancing on a magic carpet. I saw someone levitate in India once (below the Red Fort) and later came to learn it had something to do with an out-of-body experience. I think for me the idea was a freedom of movement - something I no longer have and I desperately crave. The metaphor was helpful.

On the evening of Solstice we were invited to a party up at Anglin Lake - in Marcia's round cabin. We engaged in a talking sunflower circle - like an Aboriginal talking circle but we passed around a beautiful sunflower. I found within me that the event reminded me that I had now gone from the winter solstice (dark) to summer solstice (light). Indeed dancing on the magic carpet was my image for moving into the light. (My body has yet to cooperate with the image, but I'm working toward it).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    This is a wonderful way to communicate about your health difficulties, hopes and dreams! I love the dancing on a magic carpet metaphor! If anyone can fly it will be you! Keep the jets charged! We are so happy for you that you have found some relief and are able to do some yoga and bike a little! Being so positive is sure to have a great outcome! Keep up your good work! Thinking of You! Warmest Regards! Dianna and Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usa el newen del nuevo sol también para luchar y vencer el enemigo que viste en sueños. Newentuleimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias. Necisito mucha fuerza. Estoy tranando y poco a poco ...

      Delete